January 18, 2012

CV REVIEW NOTE (Part 2): Clarity

In the first part of the review notes, I talked about Career Objective. I gave a guide with examples of how to achieve a proper Career Objective (as about 95%+ of the CVs I reviewed had poorly structured Career Objectives)

In this part of the CV Review Note, I'll cover a subject that affects every aspect of your CV - Clarity.
Next week and the weeks to come, I'll go through every section of the CV in turn and clarity has a major impact on the overall image of your CV.


CLARITY
Clarity has to do with neatness, understandability coherence, intelligibility etc.

How can you achieve clarity on your CV?
-Keep the information you include on your CV brief and simple.
-Avoid use of ambiguous words and phrases
-Arrange items properly (Page layout, Bullet point style and size, text alignment add to how well your CV is received)
-Use a readable font size and style
- Separate items properly and avoid clustering information (which most people do in a bid to have fewer pages on their CV)
- Avoid the use of too many bold characters (this could be distracting)



I understand it is really quite tasking to sit down and write about things you’ve done a while ago, so give yourself time. Perhaps use a day to work on each section of your CV and in a week you should be through.

Always bear it in mind that you are not the only one looking for a job; thousands of people may have applied for that same job opening (and trust me when I say this usually is the case in Nigeria because there is a high rate of unemployment).
Help the recruiters to understand your CV - arrange item properly, choose a readable font and space things properly.

Do you expect a recruiter to believe you are good at using MS Word (as stated on your CV) when you have submitted a CV that is poorly presented? - Poor use of bullet points, uneven lines and unreadable fonts. etc

Do you expect a recruiter to believe you have good communication skills when you have several grammatical errors on your CV as well as long and unclear phrases?

I was impressed by about 2 CVs I reviewed recently. They were so neat, I almost didn’t know where to start from with reviewing these CVs. If I were a recruiter, I'd have been interested in reading them.
Then there were other CVs with really scattered arrangements BUT with good content - very good skills but things were written all over the place.

Please refer to our last CV illustration where it became evident that the value of the content of a CV is greatly reduced by poor clarity.

No comments:

Post a Comment